Burden of infections with resistant bacteria
Each year, 33000 people die from an infection due to bacteria resistant to antibiotics. The burden of infections is comparable to that of inﬂuenza, tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS combined.See infographic
Communicating to professionals in hospitals and long-term care facilities
Up to half of all antibiotic use in hospitals is unnecessary of inappropriate. Antibiotic misuse in hospitals is a major driver of antibiotics resistance. What can be done?View materials
#KeepAntibioticsWorking: join us on social media!
As a healthcare professional, what can you do to keep antibiotics working? What can a patient association do to contribute? What can policymakers do at European level? What can a parent do? Everyone can join the campaign on European Antibiotics Awareness Day- posting his/her own message, picture or video using the #KeepAntibioticsWorking hashtag. Tell the world what you do, in your professional or personal life, at individual or collective level, to use antibiotics responsibly and #KeepAntibioticsWorking!
Antibiotic resistance is one of the biggest threats facing us today. Become an antibiotic guardian - keep antibiotics working.
Choose one simple pledge about how you'll make better use of antibiotics and help save these vital medicines from becoming obsolete.
Antibiotic Guardian is a UK-wide campaign.Antibiotic Guardian website
Campaigns in the UK and Ireland
- e-bug: Fun games and teaching resources about microbes and antibiotics - Public Health England
- Antibiotic awareness resources: 2017 - Public Health England
- European Antibiotic Awareness Day - Scottish medicines consortium
- Antibiotic resistance: Awareness campaign, resources - Public Health Wales
- Under the weather, Health Service Executive, Ireland
- Antibiotic prescribing, Health Service Executive, Ireland