Key messages: Health burden of antibiotic resistance
• ECDC estimates that every year, throughout the European Union, Iceland and Norway, more than 35 000 people die from antibiotic-resistant infections
Key messages: Antimicrobial use in healthcare settings
1 in 3 patients receive at least one antimicrobial on a given day.
Key messages: Self-medication with antibiotics
Self-medication with antibiotics is not a responsible use of antibiotics
Key messages for the general public
Antibiotics are not the solution for infections caused by viruses such as common colds or flu.
Key messages for primary care prescribers
Primary care accounts for about 80% to 90% of all antibiotic prescriptions.
Key messages for professionals in hospitals and other healthcare settings
- All prescribers
- Healthcare professionals in hospitals and other healthcare settings
- Hospital infectious disease specialists
- Hospital managers / administrators
- Infection prevention and control professionals and hospital epidemiologists
- Emergency departments - physicians and managers
- Clinical microbiologists
- Intensive care unit - physicians and managers
- Long-term care facilities - physician and managers
- Hospital pharmacists
- Hospital prescribers
- Junior doctors and students
- What are the key messages and how they will be used?