Key messages: Health burden of antibiotic resistance
Each year, 33000 people die from an infection due to resistant bacteria.
Key messages: Antimicrobial use in healthcare settings
1 in 3 patients received at least one antimicrobial on any given day.
Key messages: Self-medication with antibiotics
Self-medication with antibiotics is not a responsible use of antibiotics
Key messages: General public
Antibiotics are not the solution for infections caused by viruses such as common colds or flu.
Key messages: Primary care prescribers
Primary care accounts for about 80% to 90% of all antibiotic prescriptions
- All prescribers
- Healthcare professionals in hospitals and other healthcare settings
- Hospital infectious disease specialists
- Hospital managers / administrators
- Infection prevention and control professionals and hospital epidemiologists
- Key messages for hospital prescribers
- Junior doctors and students
- Hospital pharmacists
- Clinical microbiologists
- Emergency departments: physicians, managers
- Intensive care unit: physicians, managers
- Long-term care facilities: physician, managers
- What are the key messages and how they will be used?