European Antibiotic Awareness Day 2019
To mark EAAD 2019, on 18 November ECDC will release the report on the 'Survey of healthcare workers’ knowledge and attitudes about antibiotics and antibiotic resistance, EU/EEA, 2019'.Find out more
Burden of infections with resistant bacteria
Each year, 33000 people die from an infection due to bacteria resistant to antibiotics. The burden of infections is comparable to that of inﬂuenza, tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS combined.See infographic
Communicating to professionals in hospitals and long-term care facilities
Up to half of all antibiotic use in hospitals is unnecessary of inappropriate. Antibiotic misuse in hospitals is a major driver of antibiotics resistance. What can be done?View materials
Join the EAAD launch event on Facebook
On 18 November 2019, ECDC marks the 12th European Antibiotic Awareness Day at Europahuset in Stockholm, Sweden.
The conference will be live streamed on ECDC EAAD Facebook channel where anyone can participate: watch the event and ask questions. Join the event to see key note speeches and panel discussions with invited governmental institutions, professional and patient organisations, country representatives and media.
Campaigns in the UK and Ireland
- e-bug: Fun games and teaching resources about microbes and antibiotics - Public Health England
- Antibiotic awareness resources: 2017 - Public Health England
- European Antibiotic Awareness Day - Scottish medicines consortium
- Antibiotic resistance: Awareness campaign, resources - Public Health Wales
- Under the weather, Health Service Executive, Ireland
- Antibiotic prescribing, Health Service Executive, Ireland
Antibiotic resistance is one of the biggest threats facing us today. Become an antibiotic guardian - keep antibiotics working.
Choose one simple pledge about how you'll make better use of antibiotics and help save these vital medicines from becoming obsolete.
Antibiotic Guardian is a UK-wide campaign.Antibiotic Guardian website